Overview of Plaster of Paris Industry
In India, there is a growing industry that manufactures raw materials for whiteware, such as pottery and sanitaryware, chemical and electrical porcelains, medical supplies such as bandages and casts, mould and statues etc. This is the plaster of Paris (POP) manufacturing industry. More than 900 Plaster Of Paris manufacturing industries are located all over India. The majority of the POP Industry in these clusters are in the micro and small enterprises category. The units vary in terms of turnover and machinery used in the processing. It is based on the location of the industry and the end use of POP. Plaster of Paris is quick-setting material made from gypsum, which is in the form of fine white powder that hardens quickly after application when left to dry. A considerable demand for POP is rising from many establishments engaged in the end-user industry. Gypsum is the only raw material used in Plaster of Paris Industry. Since India has a significant deposit of gypsum, the manufacturing cost for POP is also low. The majority of such industries are located in gypsum-rich areas of the country. For instance, Rajasthan, which accounts for 81% natural gypsum, along with Jammu & Kashmir 14% and Tamil Nadu 2%, are the preferred areas for setting up a POP manufacturing facility. Other states like Gujarat, Karnataka, Himachal Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh are also preferred by entrepreneurs for establishing Plaster of Paris Industry.
Advantages in setting up Plaster of Paris Industry
The major POP sales come from the construction industry, which uses POP mainly for plastering. There is a large number of hospitals and dental clinics that use surgical bandages and dental impressions and therefore need large quantities of superior-grade plaster of Paris. In the case of manufacturing surgical-grade POP, a mineral called silinite is used, which is considered a purer variety of gypsum. As this material is employed in producing showpieces, statues and a wide range of other objects, the decorative feature can be utilised to create unique patterns and designs. The properties that make the POP industry a safe bet for business today are
Adequate Availability: We have decent availability of gypsum in the country that helps keep the manufacturing cost low. Also, locally made products are preferred over imported items as the transportation cost will make the product costlier. Therefore, the manufacturers can easily compete with imported products at an advantage.
The favourable attitude of the government: various incentives for setting up a manufacturing unit are provided by different
state governments. POP is considered a degradable construction material and does not cause significant pollution. This means that a Plaster of Paris Industry does not need special licences or permits. The easy setup of a manufacturing unit attracts many entrepreneurs to this line of business. It provides additional employment opportunities, so the governments have a more supportive attitude towards such industries.
Indigenous technology that is easy to adopt: The machinery and the technical knowledge needed to run the business are simple and, therefore, easy to adopt.
Benefits of POP over other construction materials
- When it is set, Plaster of Paris expands gradually and slightly. It is also highly fire-resistant.
- After curing, POP forms a surface that is hard enough, it can withstand normal knocks. This is also desirable property when the material needs to be easy to break down.
- As POP structures are easy to disseminate, they are used in temporary construction or application, for example, makingcasts for bone fracture, making idols of deities that can dissolve when immersed in water, etc.
- The process of grading Plaster of Parisis relatively easy. It doesn't create cracking of surface, and most importantly, its application is easy and intricate designs can be made by it during construction work like carvings on walls, pillars, ceilings etc.
Statutory approvals required for setting up a manufacturing unit of Plaster of Paris
Business Registration: Registering one’s POP manufacturing business with the appropriate authorities is mandatory under the law. This helps the business owner become eligible for certain benefits from the government.
Consent NOC: No objection certificate for Pollution is awarded by the concerned SPCB/PCC as Consent to Establish (CTE) and Consent to Operate (CTO). These certificates must be acquired before starting the facility. Documents required for these NOCs are
- Duly filled application
- layout plan with a roadmap
- Detailed Project Report.
- Details of the manufacturing process and finished products
- Details of installed waste management measures and pollution control measures
- list of machinery
- source of water, and its required quantity and water balance in the area
- Site ownership documents such as rent /lease agreement
- Consent fee (as applicable)
- Balanced Sheet Certified by a CA
- Lab report of the trade emissions and effluents
- any other document, if required (such as environmental clearance)
Udyam MSME Registration
MSME units needs to apply through the centralised online portal of the government. The documents required for Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprise Registrationinclude
- Name and type of enterprise
- Aadhaar card
- PAN card
- The NIC code
- Applicant’sofficial name
- Account details
- The social category of the applicant
- The business operations of the enterprise
- Date of Incorporation of a business
- Details related to employment
Factory license: To establish the units, the owner of the POP manufacturing plant in India has to register the unit under the Factories Act, of 1948. The manufacturerhas to get a Factory license from the Chief Inspector of the Labour Commissioner Organisation. Documents needed for factory license include
- Form 1
- Aadhaar card
- Layout/site plan
- List of directors
- Partnership deed
- Account details
- Commencement date
- Land deeds
- Consent form from SPCB/PCC
- Details of hazardous and non-hazardous waste
- Tax receipt
The Fire NOC (No objection Certificate) is mandatory for setting up a Plaster of Paris manufacturing Plant in India. The applicant needs a fire safety licence, which will be furthered to the Chief Officer of the Fire Service Department. After the inspection, the report is made and after scrutinising it further, the Fire NOC is ultimately granted.
Documents required for fire NOC for POP Manufacturing Plant in India
- Site plan
- Basement floor plan
- Stilt/ground floor plan
- Floor-wise plan
- Terrace plan
- Section plan
- Elevation plan
- Any other records supporting the above documents
Additional Licences required
- Goods and Services Tax registration
- Shop and establishment registration
- Professional tax registration
- Licence under Employee State Insurance Act (ESIC)
- Import Export Code registration (for exporter/importer )
- Approved building plan from the competent authority.
Market Overview of Plaster of Paris Industry
In 2021, the Plaster of Paris had a market value of 462.86 crore rupees and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 6.13 per cent to reach INR 677.36 crore by 2027. In addition to an increase in India's income and a spike in the proportion of people beautifying their homes, especially their walls, the industry is expected to develop further. Due to construction projects, there's been a steady wing market for gypsum plaster. However, the adoption of energy-efficient technologies and the adoption of standard operating procedures are essential things to be taken care of by all units. There is a growing industrial activity in whiteware, such as pottery, sanitaryware, and chemical and electrical porcelain items, that require a large quantity of POP for making moulds and preparing moulds. The demand for this product sever-increasing.
How can Enterclimate assist you?
One-stop assistance for the setup of your business
The team of experts can manage licence and authorisation requirements for your Plaster of Paris business. We have a vast network of environment and licencing experts in every state and can make your business setup a hassle-free experience.
We provide tailored packages customised to suit the specific needs of your business. We also ensure that all our clients are provided with only expert legal assistance throughout the application process and keep them updated with the changes in government policies that are relevant to their business.
Unmatched customer experience
Our client relation executives ensure that all doubts and queries of our clients are met with precise and prompt assistance as we provide you with service from our team of lawyers, CAs and CS, which are experts in their respective fields.