Overview of Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate
Biodegradable and compostable plastic has emerged as the country's popular alternative to conventional petroleum-based plastic products. The government has been promoting using alternatives to plastic through various rules. The Plastic Waste Management (PWM) Rules, 2016 and its amendments have played a crucial role. The rules have mandated obtaining a biodegradable and compostable plastic certificate for better plastic waste management.
As per Rule 3(e) of PWM guidelines, compostable plastic means “plastic which degrades by biological processes in composting to yield CO2, water, inorganic compounds and biomass at a rate consistent with other known compostable materials. The PWM (Second Amendment) Rules, 2022 defined biodegradable plastic as plastics, other than compostable plastics, which degrades through biological processes under ambient environmental conditions without leaving any visible, distinguishable or toxic residue that could harm the environment. The Central Pollution Control Board(CPCB) is the nodal authority that issues the Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate to produce and trade compostable material under Rule 4(h) of PWM Rules, 2016.
The protocols for degradability of this plastic are as per the Indian Standards listed in Schedule I of the rules. Also, as per clause 13 (1&2) of PWM Rules, 2018, the manufacturer and seller of compostable plastic must register with the concerned SPCB/PCC before applying to CPCB. The manufacturers producing compostable or biodegradable plastic packaging must register as a producer on the EPR portal. This is done to obtain a Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate.
Requirements for CPCB Certificate in case ofmanufacturer
The manufacturer of biodegradable plastic carry bags and commodities can apply to CPCB for registration in Form-A under annexure III and the prescribed documents.
- Details like the address of the plant, postal address, PAN and GST details of the unit, along with the general information of the authorised persons, like name designation, email phone number, and aadhar number, are needed.
- Production details like raw material used, the nature of additive used, and bio-based or non-bio-based materials used. The name of raw material used and documents (like tax invoice)supporting their procurement are needed to get a Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate hassle-free.
- Manufacturers must provide the manufacturing process along with a detailed flow diagram indicating input raw material, process steps, final products and waste streams.
- Pictures or short video of the facility has to be uploaded.
- Details of plant machinery installed to produce biodegradable plastics must be provided. The plant machinery should match with details provided in Section 3 (A, B, C&E). This includes details likethe name of the machine along with their number, capacity, power rating of the machine, and sanctioned power load of the plant should match the power rating of the machinery.
Note: If the manufacturing unit does not have valid registration from the SPCB/PCC, then the Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate is issued with the condition that the manufacturer/seller will manufacture or sell the biodegradable carry bags or commodities or both only after they obtain registration for manufacturing from the concerned SPCB/PCC. The registration must be submitted to CPCB within three months of the certificate being issued by CPCB, failing which the certificate will stand cancelled.
Requirements for CPCB Certificatein case of sellers
For certification of compostable plastic bags, the seller of compostable plastic products can apply to CPCB for registration in Form (B). The seller must quote details like the product's name and the quantity. The manufacturer of the product must be certified by a CPCB. Additionally, its name and address must be given.
For the sale of compostable plastic and getting a Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate, the following requirement must be met -
- Compostable plasticsellers must comply with provisions 4(h) & 11(c) of the PWM Rules, 2018, notified under the Environment Protection (EP) Act, 1986.
- To get a Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic Certificate, sellers must also comply with conditions for compliance or guidelines introduced from time to time by the MoEF&CC.
- The seller of compostable plastic shall provide half-yearly details of procurement of compostable bags from the registered manufacturer in the specified format. The seller must also provide quantity info of sales of compostable carry bags.
- Sellers must also ensure that "Compostable/Compostable Plastic" is mentioned in English and the regional language. The seller's name, code, and certificate number are printed on the bags they procured.
- The aadhaar number of the seller and supporting documents must be uploaded wherever applicable. Further, business details like the address of the unit, GST and PAN details, IEC code etc. must be provided.
- Procurement details include the name and address of the manufacturer for procurement of biodegradable plastic bags/commodities and the manufacturer for procurement of biodegradable plastic bags/commodities.
Note: The issue of Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificate for sellers is assessed as per provisions of the current SOP of the CPCB. The new SOP will be applicable if CPCB has already issued a certificate and a revised standard operating procedure for the compostable plastic seller. Thus, such an application shall be reviewed as per provisions of the latest SOP within three months.
Documents needed by compostable and biodegradable plastic items manufacturers and sellers
Documents required for Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificate
- PAN & GST of the company
- Aadhaar of the authorised person
- Process flow diagram
- Consents NOC under Air and the Water Act issued by concerned SPCB/PCC
- Registration certificate for producing biodegradable commodities or carry bags or both issued by concerned PCC/SPCB under Rule 13(i) of PWM Rules,2018
- Geo-tagged pictures of storage area, raw material, production area and product dispatch area
- Geo-tagged pictures of plant machinery
- Copy of Electricity bill
- Proof of details of pollution control devices or measures is installed.
- Documents supporting the procurement of raw materials
- Test reports according to the Indian Standards IS/ISO 17899: 2022. Testing must be conducted at CIPET or a recognised lab under the LaboratoryRecognition Scheme, 2020, of the BIS or laboratories accredited by the National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories.
Documents Required for Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificate for Plastic Sale
- A duly filled Form B
- Authorisation letter issued t by the concerned manufacturer, the seller
- Undertaking on a ₹ 100/- stamp paper by the seller
if the seller doesn't possess this registration, the certificate is issued on the condition that the seller would sell the product only after getting a valid registration to be submitted to the CPCB within 3 months of issuance of the certificate. Separate CPCB certificates will be issued to the manufacturer and the seller that supplies the product.
CPCB certificate issued to the manufacturer that supplies the product.
Note:CPCB also has a monitoring mechanism under which the seller needs to provide half yearly report regarding product sales to their concerned pollution control board. Also, market surveys are carried out to ensure the availability of compostable plastic bags to consumers. CPCB has the power to cancel or suspend the certificate of the seller in case they can't adhere to any of the conditions given the biodegradable and compostable plastic certificate.
Stages in CPCB Registration for Compostable Plastic Seller and Manufacturer Certificate
Application and document submission
For applying for the Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificate, the entity must apply in their respective forms and make a complete application to the Central Pollution Control Board.
CPCB examines the application. Doubts and issues in the application are
communicated to the applicant within seven working days of receipt of the application.
Issue/Rejection of application
A provisional certificate is issued based on the interim test report submitted for the ongoing test. Applications shall be rejected if false/ irrelevant information /document is found to be submitted.
Market Overview of Biodegradable and Compostable Plastic
The increasing awareness among the public regarding the ill effects of plastic waste is among the key trends stimulating market growth in favour of compostable plastic. As the governments banned single-use plastic throughout the country from 1st July this year, the demand for compostable plastic items is bound to increase many times. Going by the existing trend, it can be observed that starch-based biodegradable plastic was the largest product segment for biodegradable plastics in 2021, with a revenue share of more than 40.0%. The starch-based alternatives to plastic are projected to dominate the market in terms of value and volume throughout the forecast horizon. Starch-based plastics are used in packaging, automobiles, and agriculture applications.
Polylactic acid (PLA) products are also rapidly gaining ground in the market. The cheaper cost of PLA compared to any other alternative is a major driving factor for the use of PLA in bioplastic production. Additionally, biodegradable plastics in packaging and agriculture supplement the segment's growth. Moreover, it has been observed that consumers can willingly be made to pay a bit more for biodegradable plastic items owing to their eco-friendly nature. This makes the need for Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificates unavoidable.
How will Enterclimate Assist You?
Enterclimate offers one-stop support for all your legal requirements concerning Biodegradable and Compostable plastic Certificates.
Our team comprises experts from the domain that assist in all legalities regarding starting of compostable plastic business.
Our team knows how crucial time and resources are for a business. We provide all-inclusive assistance in registration and other legalities under the same roof with CPCB and SPCB/ PCC in a swift and hassle-free manner.
Precise and Prompt Assistance
Enterclimate experts have years of experience in procedural and legalities concerning new-age businesses and their associated legalities. We ensure that our communication with our clients is always prompt, upbeat and seamless.