Overview of Food Recycling License
Food Wastage is not a new practice that is now turning into a global concern. According to the Food & Agricultural Organisation of the United Nations (UNFAO), it is estimated that one-third of the food produced globally per annum is either wasted or lost. India, as per Global Food Waste Index 2021, has ranked 2nd just behind China with the wasted food up to 68.8 million tonnes having, worth approximately 92,000 crores, with growth rates of 8% to 10%. It is also estimated by CSR Journal that the amount of waste food generated in India is similar to food consumed in the United Kingdom.
The principal offender of food wastage in India is supermarkets, Hotels, Food processing industries, Restaurants and Weddings.
Food Wastage not only affects the number of resources in India but also affects the environment as once the waste food is discarded in the landfills, the waste generates a tremendous amount of methane, a greenhouse gas, which combines with Carbon dioxide and Chlorofluorocarbon, causing a rise in the temperature of the earth surface.
Which Business needs Food Recycling License?
A food Recycling Business has the potential to gain revenue. In the year 2022, the food recycling industry is expected to have a worth of $62.6 million. The Business that require a license for food recycling are: -
- Industries that are involved food generating business like: -
- Manufacturing plants
- Food Packaging Plants
- Industries that are utilising the same packed food items from the date of expiry should recycle their food waste into compost.
Documents Required for Food Recycling Business
The applicant who is filing an application for acquiring a food recycling license is also required to submit the listed documents as mandated by Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016. The documents are:-
- PAN Card/Aadhar Card
- Electricity Bill
- Water Bill
- GST Registration
- Factory license
- Form of Application for Grant/Renewal of Registration of Industrial Units Possessing Environmentally Sound Management Facilities for Reprocessing /Recycling.
- Covering requisition letter asserting the status of the industry and activities clearly.
- Copy of certified Sale Deed /Lease Deed or any other relevant documents as proof to ensure possession of the site/factory for which application is made by the applicant.
- Copy of certified Memorandum of Articles in case of Public/Private sectors or registered partnership deed in case of Partnership Company.
- ETP/STP, if any
- D.G set, if any
- Layout plan presenting the site of various process equipment, utilities like boiler, generator etc., effluent treatment plant, outlet location, non-hazardous and hazardous waste storage yard.
- Schematic diagram presenting the distance of water bodies, roads, existing/ proposed residential areas, agricultural lands, critical religious locations, educational institutions, ancient monuments, archaeological places and other sensitive areas for 2 KM Radius from the units.
- Detailed industrial process for each merchandise along with detailed procedure flow chart.
- Auditor’s Certificate with break-up details for the proposed Gross fixed Assets duly certified by a Chartered Accountant along with the financial provisions for Pollution Control Measures
- Consent to establish granted by the concerned State Pollution Control Board the Air Act enacted in 1981 and under the Water Act of 1974;
- Consent to operate was granted by the concerned State Pollution Control Board under the Air Act of 1981 and under the Water Act of 1974
Procedure for Acquiring Food Recycling License
In order to establish a food recycling business, the business owner has to register with the state or Centre Waste Management Rules. The Process of registration includes registration with authority, Review of Application and grant of license.
Registration with Authority
The registration of the Food Recycling business on the concerned State Pollution Control Board or pollution control committee official site. After registration, the Business owner has to submit Form 1.
Following the submission of Form 1, the concerned PCB will examine the application and reply for the authorisation within 60 days. Along with this, the business owners also have to apply for a Certificate of Consent from the SPCB under Water and Air Act.
Grant of license
Once the examination is done, the business owner is granted the license along with Consent Certificate. The producers or recyclers have to comply with environmental standards as per Schedule I & Schedule II of the Solid Waste Management Act.
Food recycling license in India
The Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016, which govern waste management in India, specify that food garbage must be separated at the source and that waste must be channelled through recovery, reuse, and recycling. Additionally, according to this law, all hotels and restaurants are required to separate biodegradable garbage and set up a system for composting or bio-metalation on their premises.
A growing, innovative sector with significant revenue potential is food waste management. The food waste management market is anticipated to be valued at $62.6 billion in 2022. Future Market Insights (FMI) predicts that the market will be worth US$ 116.4 billion by 2032, with a CAGR of 6.4% from 2021 to 2032.
The Principles guiding the Food Recycling Business: -
- Integration of Informal Sector
- The Integrated Solid waste management system
- Decentralized Waste management system
- Extended Producers' Responsibility
Validity and Renewal of Food Recycling License
The license will be valid at first for two years & then for five years each time it is renewed. Before 60 days have passed since expiration date, an application for renewal can be submitted in Form 4. The State Pollution Control Board and Pollution Control Committee are responsible for renewing after reviewing each case.
How can Enterclimate assist you?
Bespoke Environmental Law Solutions
Our team of legal experts offers assistance all through the process of obtaining a license for a food recycling Business.
Guidance for Annual Report Filing
We offer comprehensive guidance individually catering to your specialised needs. Our team of an expert also provide guidance in Annual Report filing.
Support in Filing for Renewal
Our team of experts also deliver thorough service for filing a renewal application for a License for Food recycling Business.