Overview of Sewage Treatment Plant Manufacturing Facility
Sewage treatment plants handle different types of wastewater, like domestic sewage containing residential toilet wastewater and grey water (from Schools, Hospitals, Commercial Buildings, Hotels etc.). Then there is industrial sewage, the used water from manufacturing plants and industries like Automobile, Pharmaceutical, Textile, Pulp & Paper, Beverages, Refineries, chemical manufacturing units etc. Effluent treatment plants are in demand as they are used by several industrial as well as non-industrial units(residential complexes, hospitals etc.)to clean wastewater. The term Sewage treatment plant and Effluent treatment plant is used interchangeably. The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has recommended standards for treating wastewater before reintroducing it into the water stream. This standard is enforced on industrial and non-industrial establishments by the State Pollution Control Boards and Pollution Committees (SPCB/PCC) by means of Pollution NOC.
STP manufacturing Units in India
For starting an STP manufacturing facility, many different licences and authorizations will be required. A sewage treatment plant comes in various sizes and capacities- from large-scale industrial STP and domestic STPs that handle the effluent from large manufacturing units and wastewater coming through drains from households to smaller and portable units like
- Packaged Sewage Treatment Plant
- The compact sewage treatment plant
- Portable sewage treatment plant, Modular sewage treatment plant
- Commercial STP
- Prefabricated Sewage Treatment Plant
- Containerized Sewage Treatment Plant
Functioning of Sewage Treatment Plant Manufacturing Unit
Components of Sewage Treatment units include sections that perform pumping of sewage, primary treatment (fine screening, grit removal and primary clarification), and secondary treatment. The functions of the plant that manufactures, however, is different. Following are some of the main functions of a Sewage Treatment Plant Manufacturing Unit
- A manufacturing unit that produces and installs a sewage treatment plant has to ensure that all the necessary apparatus needed for treating industrial and non-industrial sewage are installed in the STP and that its processing/filtration capacity meets the criteria set by the CPCB/SPCB.
- As sewage treatment plant functions by circulating air to facilitate the growth of bacteria to break down sewage, proper air disinfection and pollution control measures must be implemented.
- An STP must be designed as per the requirement of small businesses. It must also be able to provide benefits to small and medium-sized enterprises by eliminating wastewater from their operations in a cost-effective manner.
- Depending on their size, Sewage treatment plants can treat the waste of commercial properties or several domestic dwellings
Licences needed to start a Sewage Treatment plant manufacturing facility
The owner must obtain CTE (Consent to Establish) before the industry is established under the Water and Air (P&CP) Act. CTO (Consent to Operate) is obtained after the facility is installed and is ready to start the production process. The applicant has to apply through the centralized online portal of the concerned Pollution Control Committee or State Pollution Control Board, along with documents/certificates/licenses required by the SPCB/PCC. A site inspection will be needed for the official government personnel who make the report as per the finding of the inspection, according to which the certificate is granted.
Documents required for consent certificate
- Authorization Letter
- Pan Card
- The Aadhar Card
- DG Specifications
- Raw material list with daily MTD/monthly quantity
- Industry Department Certificate
- Specifics on air pollution controls
- Product/by-product list with daily MTD/monthly quantity
- The layout plan/Site plan
- Total construction area
- Project report
- Municipality or Industry license
- Registration Proof of unit
- Site Plan
- Water Bill
- Details on channelization
- Total open land
- Water usage breakdown
- Boiler type, fuel used, and quantity
- Permission from the state's groundwater authority.
- Factory/Trade License
To establish an STP manufacturing unit, owners must register their businesses under the Factories Act. Manufacturing businesses are mandated to get a Factory license from the Labour Commissioner Organisation as required under the Factories Act 1948.
Documents need for Factories Licence
- Duly filled Form 1
- Layout plan/site plan
- Aadhar Card;
- List of directors
- MOA and AOA
- Partnership deed
- Bank Account Details
- Land deeds
- Consent Certificate form from SPCB/PCC
Additional Licences and Certifications needed by STP Manufacturing Facility
- CGWA NOC for water Abstraction
- Services of TSDF operator/ HWM Authorization
- Trade License
- Trademark Registration
Establishments that require Sewage Treatment Plant
The following industries utilize ETP to treat wastewater at its source
Hospitals: The effluent from the hospital Effluent Treatment Plant contains several radioactive isotopes, microbiological pathogens, particles of spent solutions, syringes, huge pieces of metal, and disinfectants that are potentially dangerous to human existence. For these reasons, environmentalists place a high value on hospital wastewater treatment facilities, as hospitals require a substantial amount of fresh flowing water for daily operations.
Manufacturing Industry: manufacturing companies such as electroplating and phosphate industries, paper industries, steel mills, sugar mills, dyeing industries, food & beverage industries, pharmaceutical & drug plants, tanneries, and automobiles have faced strict regulations on waste and its unregulated discharge
Pharmaceutical industry: While manufacturing or formulating medications, the pharmaceutical sector creates large amounts of wastewater.
Chemical Industry Plants: This industry produces chemical products such as petrochemicals, agrochemicals, ceramics, polymers, rubber oleochemicals, explosives, perfumes, and flavours. Water becomes harmful throughout manufacturing because it includes organic and inorganic materials. As a result, wastewater must be treated before being discharged into the water cycle.
How can Enterclimate assist you?
Personalized assistance for your business.
Our professionals, CAs and CS, provide an all-inclusive and personalized licencing and authorization service along with the needed legal assistance for STP manufacturing Business. So setting up an STP manufacturing Facility is a hassle-free experience.
Enterclimate offers guidance at every stage of setting up your STP manufacturing unit. Our team of experts has more than ten years of experience assisting similar industries. We proactively streamline and manage the application process and keep you updated with any changes in government policies concerning your business.
Cost-effective solution for all business needs
Our client relation experts are trained professionals eager to provide industry-leading assistance services. We provide comprehensive and expert assistance for any doubts and queries of the client speedily and efficiently.